Wednesday 2 January 2008

Blogging Heroes

For Christmas I bought myself a new Michael A. Banks book Blogging Heroes. It contains interviews with 30 of "the World's Top Bloggers". How was the list made? "I looked around at who was doing what in the blogosphere. I cosulted the Technorati lists, Digg, Alexa and other resources to get an idea of which blogs were really popular, and which may have simply gamed the system to get on the list. / Sifting through the more active and popular blogs, I came up with a list of itneresting blogs in several categories. I read the blogs to get an idea of each blogger's style and background. I alos looked for buzz about othe popular bloggers and their blogs. Links from some of the blogs I was reading pointed to additional candidates for interviews. Still more were suggested by my editors and the interviewees themselves." (Banks, 2008: xii) Is this the methodology to get to the list of the "World's Top Bloggers"? Probably not - it is confusing and arbitrary ...

However, it is an interesting reading, because it gives you an insight into a broad palette of opinions on blogging, journalism, advertising and internet. I recomend it ...

5 comments:

Kava K. Coffee said...

When you will finish reading it, I am recommending myself for the book. For a week or two. ;-)
Thanks in advance.
All the best in 2008. Sebastjan

Igor Vobič said...

Ok, no problem.

Linasolopoesie said...

CIAO!!!
BUONA GIORNATA E UN SALUTO DAll'ITALIA....lINA

Nick Jankowski said...

Thanks, Sebastjan, for this reading tip...I had not heard of the book. I won't add my name to your list of borrowers (Igor is next), but will look for it here in Amsterdam.

What I'll also do is compile a list of literature related to blogs and blogging (others have already compiled what they term canonical texts) and share that in a week or so.

Igor Vobič said...

Dear, professor - I think that Sebastjan is next, because I have the book. :) It was Igor's Christmas present to Igor. I have read most of it - fascinating is the discourse of former "mainstream" journalists (now bloggers) towards traditional journalists - they are sceptical towards its canons and norms, especially toward the norm of objectivity.